Friday 12 October 2012

How to make felt

Felt - you just buy it in, don't you?  Surely it's far too difficult to make??

Well, that's what I thought until I read about a way to make it.  Here's how:

- make sure you have 100% wool fabric (or jumper or beanie hat)

- put it in the washing machine at its highest setting

- let the washing machine do all the hard work!

That's it!!!!

So I had to have a go and see if it really was that easy.

I had some preloved woollen tweed so experimented with that.  Here's a before picture. 


And here's what it looked like when it came out.  Unsurprisingly it had shrunk and seemed to be extra thick felt.



I put both together because I was gobsmacked at the difference between the two!


If you have a look at a picture of the cut end of the felt, you can still see the original tweed weave.

 
So when you have your felt, you can make anything you choose in the knowledge that it won't unravel and you don't have to hem it.  Perfect!

I am always excited about discovering a new method!  I'll put '100% wool' on my charity shop shopping list now!

Next...





No comments:

Post a Comment