Wednesday 10 October 2012

Felt bag - the creative process in action

I discovered a great way to make your own felt recently which I'll share in a future post.

I wanted to make a bag out of the felt I'd made.  The original idea was to make a completely vertical bag with a handle at the top.  But it was a little bit plain for my liking.

Because I didn't have a set idea of what the bag would look like, I thought I'd share the process that I went through to make the final bag.

So I tapered the sides and shaped the top.  But it looked too deep for me.


I added a lining of not-made-by-me contrasting felt which helped to strengthen the handles.


And then I thought, well, it's a bit plain, why not add a felt flower to the bag?

It was supposed to be a corsage that you could unpin and use separately.  But because the felt I'd made was so bloomin' thick, it just flopped and there was no way I would want to wear it like that on my coat!

 
I added a Sew Selena label, but because of the chunky felt it wouldn't stay straight so I removed it.  I had shortened the bag by that point though - it seems so much more proportionate now.


And then I wondered what the 'corsage' would look like on the front of the bag - not bad.  But not quite right.


But would it be better if it was on the side of the bag?  This didn't look quite right to me.


But when I added it to the other side I was happy.  That was it!


A close up picture of the extra-thick felted tweed - you can just see the original tweed in the middle of the felt.


It even has a straight label!



I'm happy now!

Next...



No comments:

Post a Comment