Monday 30 April 2012

The joys of working with Mexican oilcloth

I love working with oilcloth - it's so darned versatile!

I'm still in the 'playing' stage as I've discovered that there's oilcloth and then there's *oilcloth*.

It's a bit like life really - the more I learn about something, the more I realise there is to learn! 

I'd not heard of Mexican oilcloth before I went looking for UK oilcloth suppliers - but look at it - it's so vibrant!  Apparently the floral designs are inspired by traditional 1940s/1950s patterns. 

Here is a hibiscus shopper that I made for a friend:




It's so roomy in there!

The pattern on the back was slightly offset to distinguish it from the front.




The interior seams are taped with green bias binding in order to a) make it look great and b) provide added strength (a tip from my favourite local sewing shop!)

No comments:

Post a Comment