So when I was given an A line dress to see if I could make something similar as a costume, I didn't hesitate to give it a go.
Here is the dress I was given:
I always like to make a mock-up of a new garment/item first and only then when I'm satisfied with it, do I go on to make the item itself. I learn loads along the way.
So this is the dress that I made from a pair of old curtains that were sitting in my airing cupboard:
And this was the resulting costume that I made. I was given some really pretty lace to add to the top and bottom to make it look similar to the blue dress.
I loved the whole process of figuring out how to make the costume - especially the little puffy sleeves. You see, the more I sew, the more I discover new techniques that I can bring to my own creative process the next time round.
It wasn't until I was watching the dance show that I realised that the blue and pink dresses would be worn alongside each other.
I think they went really well together!
Dancer photo reproduced with kind permission Kathryn Hurley Dance Academy
Copyright Rich McD