Friday 20 April 2012

Tunic top (aka curtains!)

Freecycle's fabulous!  I once asked if anyone had any sewing patterns from a particular magazine and one lovely local lady got in touch and is now saving them for me (ever grateful!) 

So I now have a whole host of patterns that have been looking rather tempting for a while now but I haven't got round to making any of them up until now.

That was until I discovered a pair of curtains that I fell in love with in a charity shop.  You can't beat a nice pair of curtains for hardwearing fabric, pretty patterns and all-round loveliness!  These particular curtains were shimmery two-tone (does anyone know what the technical term is?) so they look different colours depending on how the light catches them - always a plus point in my book!

Here is the resulting tunic top:




I veered away from the pattern slightly by adding homemade bias binding to the hem, cuffs and neckline.  It was quite therapeutic to sew them on by hand.

Ooooh, that reminds me, I'll put up a bias binding tutorial at some point!




Thankfully I managed to centre the pattern on the fabric before I made the pleats.  They turned out ok LOL!




 Righto - onto the next project...

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I'm going to have to get more adventurous with fabrics at the thrift store. I've been afraid to try working with anything that isn't a sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tunic is lovely, you did a great job. This fabric is ideal for this design

    ReplyDelete