This is the make-up bag that I came up with:
I cut around the embroidery so that there was enough of a gap for the seam.
I cut two, one a little smaller than the other for the front.
I also found a matching scarf for the lining. Using the pieces I'd already cut out as a template, I made two of those too.
As the scarf was so, um, scarf-like, I added some interfacing to the back of it to ensure it had a little more body.
I put both pieces right sides together and sewed around the sides and bottom. I left a small gap at the top so that I could finish off the edges later on.
Before I turned it right side out I carefully cut into the seam allowance with scissors so that it would lie flat once it was the right way round.
I then turned over the raw edges of both pieces and pinned them:
Once I'd turned over and pinned both inner and outer edges, I then put one inside the other with one set of pins:
Once pinned, I sewed around the flap and top edge of the bag:
Added a popper:
And did it up!
It's so much more useable now!