Friday, 19 April 2013

Zipped journal cover

I feel honoured when I am entrusted with somebody's much-loved fabric and asked to create something new with it. 

On this occasion I was asked to create a zippered journal cover with four internal card pockets from a tea-towel.

Sure, no problem, I said. I could tell that the owner didn't really want to part with it, but she had faith in my ability to make it.

After many, many different versions/notes/attempts, I was able to create the following journal cover:

Here are just a few of my notes that I made during the creative process.  I also made two different fabric versions first to see if I had figured it out correctly.  I think 'tenacious' is my middle name!

But it was so worth it!

It fits the journal it was designed for beautifully!
I added a matching piece of ribbon as the zip pull.


I added polka dot bias binding to the edges of the journal cover.  The binding I used wasn't as stretchy as most I've used so I gathered the edges and I think it works really well!

On the inside cover there are also four slots for credit/library cards.

 I'm really happy with the way it turned out :)

And, of course, now I have figured out how to make one of them, I can make more.  Excellent!  (Off to make sure my notes are up to date!)


1 comment: