As she was due to go on a school trip to Paris recently, we went on a rucksack hunt.
When we eventually unearthed it I noticed that for some reason the inner pocket had been cut out.
But you can't go on a school trip with no inner pocket, I cried! Where will you put your mobile phone without it getting bashed or rattling about at the bottom??
So I decided to make one.
As it turns out, I already had the perfect fabric with which to make a pocket - an old wetsuit! Not only was it large enough to hold everything that it needed to, but it was also already padded.
It was easy enough to insert the zip although I would have liked to have been able to have topstitched it so that it was able to lay down a little flatter but the wetsuit was too darned boingy.
There was no way my sewing machine was going to go through two layers of wetsuit though - the needle kept bouncing off! So I ended up handstitching the sides and top. It was quite therapeutic actually.
Here's the completed internal pocket.
And it certainly did what it was meant to do - no scratches or lost phones!