Sunday 5 February 2012

The story of a journal cover

One of the things I love most about using preloved fabric is that behind it there is always a fabulous story waiting to be told.

So when a friend asked me to make a journal cover for her of course I said yes! 

You see, she had lost a substantial amount of weight by following a plan designed specifically to address sugar sensitivity.  She entrusted me with her much loved skirt (by now far too large) and suggested I might like to make a journal cover from that.  Well, yes please!   



 It had the cutest little sunflowers strewn across it.


After 4 different prototypes I was ready to have a go at making the real thing.  And this is the resulting cover.  The journal fits perfectly!

It had ribbon ties to prevent it from falling open at an inopportune moment and inner flaps to hold the journal snugly in place.



The green polka dot interior picked out the green leaves and stems of the sunflowers.




And of course, every time my friend now comes to write in her journal she is reminded, not only of her beautiful skirt, but also of how healthy she is now and just how far she has come.

I love it when that happens!

1 comment:

  1. The fabric is charming! And I love that the cover will have so much meaning for your friend.

    ReplyDelete